Skip to main content
The Official Web Site of the State of South Carolina

The Town of Sullivan's Island has partnered with Everbridge to bring you up-to-date alerts from the Police Department and the Water & Sewer Department. Registration is free and you will be alerted via text message or email. Text our zip code, 29482, to 888777 or click here to sign up today!  NOTE:  Please check with your cell phone provider for fees to receive text messages. 

Click Here to review our Stormwater Master Plan Page.

Click here to review the draft Comprehensive Plan review.

Golf Cart & Low Speed Vehicles

Golf Carts

According to South Carolina State Law an individual or business owner of a vehicle commonly known as a golf cart may obtain a permit decal and registration from the Department of Motor Vehicles upon presenting proof of ownership and liability insurance for the golf cart and upon payment of a five-dollar fee.

A permitted golf cart may be operated within four miles of the address on the registration certificate and only on a secondary highway or street for which the posted speed limit is thirty-five miles an hour or less. No golf carts are allowed on Highway 703 (commonly known as Ben Sawyer Blvd) or Jasper Blvd. Golf carts cannot cross over Breach Inlet to Isle of Palms. Within four miles of the registration holder's address, and while traveling along a secondary highway or street for which the posted speed limit is thirty-five miles an hour or less, a permitted golf cart may cross a highway or street at an intersection where the highway has a posted speed limit of more than thirty-five miles an hour.

A person operating a permitted golf cart must be at least sixteen years of age and hold a valid driver's license. The operator of a permitted golf cart being operated on a secondary highway or street must have in their possession the registration certificate issued by the South Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles, proof of liability insurance for the golf cart and their driver's license. Golf carts can only be operated during daylight hours even if they are outfitted with lights.

Low Speed Vehicles

Low speed vehicles are required to have a regular vehicle registration and license plate through the SCDMV. According to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards Section 56-2-100, A low speed vehicle must be equipped with headlamps, front and rear turn signal lamps, tail lamps, stop lamps, reflex reflectors: one red on each side as far to the rear as practicable, and one red on the rear, an exterior mirror mounted on the driver’s side of the vehicle and either an exterior mirror mounted on the passenger’s side of the vehicle or an interior mirror, a parking brake, a windshield, a vehicle identification number, and seat belt assemblies installed at each seating position.   

Low speed vehicles are not to exceed 25 miles per hour. They are allowed to go on roads where the posted speed limits are not more than 35 miles per hour. Low speed vehicles are able to access Jasper Blvd and cross over the Breach Inlet Bridge, however, they are not allowed to cross over the Ben Sawyer Bridge.

Handicapped Golf Cart Permits

Residents and visitors are able to apply for a Handicapped Golf Cart Permit. To apply you must fill out the application and present your driver’s license and handicap placard to Town Hall.

For more information, please visit South Carolina State Law regarding golf carts and low speed vehicles.